Moog Subharmonicon Semi-Modular Polyrhythmic Analog Synthesizer
OUT OF STOCKCONTACT US!
All-analog Marriage of Harmony and Rhythm
The newest addition to the Moog Mother Ecosystem, the Moog Subharmonicon semi-modular analog synthesizer and sequencer brings all the Moog analog flavor with a rhythm entirely its own. First released in a limited run of 120 units in 2018, the Subharmonicon became an instant cult classic for its unique take on subharmonic synthesis and polyrhythmic sequencing. With two VCOs, each with two suboscillators and a four-pole resonant filter, the Subharmonicon produces creamy all-analog tones with basement-dwelling lows and scorching high-end. Its truly innovative sequencing capabilities use a combination of two four-step sequencers (one per VCO section) and a polyrhythmic generator to create wild, erratic polyrhythms and evolving harmonic chordscapes. Use it as a standalone semi-modular synthesizer or insert it into your Eurorack system for infinite sonic exploration. Synthesists at Sweetwater have been waiting to get their hands on the Moog Subharmonicon, and it was well worth the wait. For a sound design tool like no other, check out the Moog Subharmonicon today!
Legendary ultra-fat Moog synth tones
The Subharmonicon owes its ultra-fat sound to its two analog VCOs — each with two separate suboscillators — which churn out the warmth and grit for which Moog synths are known. The suboscillators divide the fundamental frequency of the VCOs down to four octaves below in 15 subdivisions, and their sawtooth waveshape packs a punchy wallop distinct from sine or square wave suboscillators. By independently tuning the VCOs and subs, you can generate massive chords that track with the VCO frequency, turning this monosynth into a pseudo-polyphonic pad machine. To shape the signal, the Subharmonicon includes a VCA and self-oscillating 4-pole lowpass resonant filter, with variable attack and decay controls. Even without the sequencer and patchbay, the Subharmonicon is a formidable analog synth that produces hearty sub-bass and screaming leads.
Brain-twisting polyrhythmic sequencing
What really sets the Subharmonicon apart from other modular synths is its idiosyncratic sequencer section. The Subharmonicon has two 4-step sequencers, which can impact the VCO or suboscillators’ rhythms and frequencies. While four steps might not seem like a lot, when paired with the Subharmonicon’s polyrhythm section, you can quickly dial up loping, swinging rhythms, with dotted notes, triplets, and out-of-time pulses that twist the sequence in unexpected ways. You can adjust the tempo manually or quantize the rhythm to an external clock to sync to your Moog Mother Ecosystem modules and third-party Eurorack units. From percussive sounds to complex, moving chords, the Subharmonicon is capable of creating textures unlike any other semi-modular synth in its class.
Make it the heart of your Eurorack System
Like the Moog Mother 32 and Moog DFAM, the Subharmonicon is equipped with a 32-point patchbay for expansive routing possibilities. Output the sequencer as control voltage to other Eruorack VCO units and modulators, and control parameters like filter cutoff, pulse width modulation, polyrhythmic controls, and more via external devices, such as LFOs. Or patch within the Subharmonicon itself to explode its creative potential. This 60HP semimodular synth makes a great desktop unit, and it’s a perfect synth to serve as the centerpiece of your Eurorack system.
Moog Subharmonicon Semi-Modular Polyrhythmic Analog Synthesizer Features:
- Wide-release version of a limited-edition cult-classic synth
- 2 analog VCOs and 4 suboscillators
- 4-pole resonant lowpass filter and VCA with attack and decay controls
- 2 x 4-step sequencer and polyrhythm generator produce complex sequences
- Stack oscillators for 6-note pseudo-polyphony
- Manual and clock-syncable tempo controls
- Expansive 32-point patchbay for limitless tweakability
- Complete 60HP Eurorack synthesizer that can easily be installed in a Eurorack case
- Type:Semi-modular Polyrhythmic Synth
- Presets:6-tone Subharmonic Chords, 4 x Rhythm Generators
- Oscillators:2 x VCO, 4 x Subharmonic
- Waveforms:Sawtooth, Square wave
- Envelope Generator:VCA (attack, decay), VCF (attack, decay)
- Filter:Self-oscillating Ladder Filter, Lowpass, 4-pole (24dB/Octave)
- Sequencer:2 x Sequencers, 4 Steps per Sequencer, Selectable Quantization
- MIDI I/O:1 x 1/8″ (In)
- Other I/O:32 x Patch Points
- Power Supply:12V DC power supply (included)
- Width:12.57″ (60HP)
- Weight:3.5 lbs.
- Manufacturer Part Number:MOD-SUBH-01